Wednesday, June 1, 2011

the dork-o-meter

We are planning a summer vacation to Pigeon Forge, TN.  If you don't know, it's home to Dollywood.  If you don't know what Dollywood is...well, if you don't know what Dollywood is then certainly you are much cooler than I am.

In hopes of maybe scoring a coupon or travel tips, I "liked" Dollywood on facebook.  Shortly thereafter one of my friends sent me a private message poking fun at me for liking Dollywood.
I must say, I was taken aback.  If she would ridicule me for liking Dollywood on fb, what would she say if she knew we were planning to go there for our family vacation?  

I immediately realized that even though I am comfortable with my own level of dorkiness, I sometimes forget that in our culture, most people prefer to keep their dorkiness under wraps.

Which led me to think, how dorky am I?  I came up with the concept of the dork-o-meter.

The dork-o-meter method measures your level of dorkiness by asking questions a la Jeff Foxworthy's "You Might Be A Redneck."

If you go to a Nascar race, camp for a week and call it summer vacation, you might be a redneck.
If you go to Dollywood for summer vacation, you might be a dork.

If you wear cut off jeans to a funeral, you might be a redneck.
If you wear a jean dress jumper paired with Keds, you might be a dork.

If your purse is leather and has fringe, you might be a redneck.
If your purse has a cartoon character on it, you might be a dork.  If it's Winnie the Pooh, double dork.

The list could go on, but you get the idea.  Some of the categories within the dork-o-meter could include nerdy, dorky, and quirky.

I think quirky would be the one to shoot for, but sometimes quirky is just a cool version of dorky.  Sometimes dorks fancy themselves as quirky, but it just doesn't work.

So on a scale from 1 to 10, I'd say my dork level is probably a 9.  (And no, I do not have a purse with cartoon character on it, but I have other things that raise my dork-o-meter level.  None of which will be discussed in this post.  Maybe some day.)
But I'm okay with a 9.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go look up where to eat at Dollywood.

2 comments:

  1. I think 9 is way too high. I work with some level 9 dorks and you my friend are no 9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve said he loved Dollywood (don't let this make you feel better though, as he is a major dork).

    ReplyDelete