Saturday, June 4, 2011

bad names

Ever noticed that there are some names that immediately indicate that a person is a problem person for you?  I have a short list of names that I know are "bad names" for me. 

What I mean is, I can see a kid throwing a fit in a grocery store, and when the mother calls him by name I think to myself, "figures, he's a Zachary".  Zachary, of course, is just an example.  I can't name real names here because then people would know what my "bad names" are.

I don't necessarily mean that all people named "whatever" are bad.  I just mean that there are certain names that you come across where you know the person is destined to be distasteful to you in some way. 

My sister and I share this theory.  She is a teacher and has a few names that she's come across over the years which never pan out to be good.  Now and then you'll get an exception to the rule.  But even then, it's hard to get over my self-imposed "yucks" over certain names.

I myself have one of these names.  I can't say I've ever met another person who shares my first name that I like.  What does that say about me?  Am I a Zachary?  (Yes, Zachary is on the list, I admit.  But I do happen to know a few exceptions, so it's all good.)

And aren't there statistics about criminals having certain "yuck-o" names?  Like if your name is something ugly, you don't like yourself and it causes you to become a criminal?  I don't know if that's really true or not, but it popped in my brain so I typed it.

The name I always wondered about is Rahab.  Nobody names their daughter Rahab.  Why? 

I think its because most people associate her with being a prostitute.  Well, I don't think, I'm pretty sure I know that's why.  I mean, who would do that?  However, she is listed in Hebrews 11, so I think if God sees her as an example of faith, wouldn't more people be inclined to name their children Rahab?  I mean there are tons of girls named Sarah.  I always thought Sarah was kind of a smart-aleck for laughing while she was eavesdropping, and she was kind of two faced with the whole Hagar thing.

Anyway, I think Rahab should come back in style for names.

Maybe I just talked myself out of the whole bad name list.  Rahab should not be on it and maybe there are other names who don't deserve it either (like Zachary....unless it's spelled Zackari or something like that.  You know it's bad when you have a silly spelling for no reason.)

No comments:

Post a Comment