Tuesday, March 6, 2012

garbage disposal

I do not have a garbage disposal.

I'm okay with that.

We kind of live in the boonies, so we just go out onto the deck and fling our scraps into the yard, and our dog eats them.  If you've never met our dog, he is a man's man kind of dog.  His name is Woodrow.  That's his real name, since I don't feel the need to protect his identity.  Woodrow eats anything.  He is a big, hairy beast of a dog who has never gotten sick from any table scraps.  At least, not that I know of.  He never comes inside, so if he's outside puking or pooping all over the place, I'm okay with that because I do not have to see it, smell it, nor clean it up. 

My current favorite cereal is Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds.  Not sure if you've ever eaten this cereal, but it gets mushy kind of quick, therefore, there are usually quite a few floating bits left. 

However, when I eat cereal, it's either early in the morning or late at night and I don't feel like going outside.  So instead of flinging the mush from the deck, I just pour the milk down the sink. 

Then the milk sits in the strainer and won't go down because of all of the mush.

Then I have to MacGuyver it and turn into a garbage disposal.  (Note:  If you are counting, that's two times I've used MacGuyver as a verb on this blog.)

So I take my spoon and chop up the mush so it goes down the drain.

No, I do not make a whirring noise while I chop with the spoon. 

That's my garbage disposal. 

Thankfully, my husband is a handyman so if I clog it up too badly, he can fix it.  However, I will then have to find a new favorite cereal.  That, or get a real garbage disposal.

1 comment:

  1. 1.) I was counting. Impressive. 2.) That is how my garbage disposal works too. We don't have a dog, so I McGuyver so much more down the drain. My husband too is a "handyman" by trade, but I don't dare let him know my disposal secret, because then I will have to hear about how I just don't "get" how things work and it will cost us a billion dollars to fix it. He will have to tear out the wall to access the pipes IF the clog didn't happen in the main going to the septic. That would mean digging up the back yard, re-grading, planting grass that will never grow back because we now have kids and don't all the permit and inspection headache. You can't hide digging up your back yard from the county. I am just lucky we don't live in town.

    ReplyDelete