Sunday, April 22, 2012

hold the blueberries, please

This weekend I actually made a recipe that I got from Pinterest.

Do you Pinterest?  If so, you should follow me by clicking on that red button over there on the right.

If you do not Pinterest, run away.  It will suck you in and you will sit for hours planning parties you will never throw and laughing at highly inappropriate e-cards.

Anyway, back to the recipe.

It was for Buttermilk Blueberry Cake.

The recipe called for 3 things that I do not have on hand in my kitchen:  buttermilk, blueberries, and lemon zest.

So this meant a special trip to the grocery store.

Do you know how much fresh blueberries cost right now?

Let me just say that for like, 7 blueberries, it was over $3.  I needed 2 cups.

I cannot bring myself to pay a zillion dollars for 2 cups of blueberries.

That's highway robbery.

Good thing gas isn't made from blueberries.   Because we'd all be riding bikes.  Or a horse.  I'd choose the horse because riding a bike is too much like exercise for my liking.  And with a horse, I wouldn't have to worry about frozen car doors.  Poop, maybe, or getting kicked in the head, but not frozen car doors.  Which, in my life, is a plus.

Anyway, back to the recipe.

So I bought frozen blueberries, some buttermilk (also expensive), and a lemon.

I made the cake.

From scratch.

Superfrydad ate a piece.  I asked him if he liked it.

Here's how the conversation went:

ME:  Did you like the cake?

SFD:  It was ok.

ME:  I made it from scratch.  You didn't like it?

SFD:  I didn't say I didn't like it.  It was ok.

ME:  What didn't you like about it?

SFD:  I don't really like blueberries.

ME: We've been married for 17 years and I'm just now learning you don't like blueberries?

SFD:  I like blueberries.

ME:  You just said you didn't like the blueberries in the cake.

SFD:  I didn't like them.

ME:  So....you like blueberries, you just didn't like the cake?

SFD:  No, I liked the cake, I just didn't like biting down on the whole blueberries.

ME:  So you only like blueberries if they are cut in half?  Whole blueberries are unacceptable?  Would you prefer them if they were pureed?  Pureed blueberries only, please.  I am a man of refined taste.

SFD:  (shrug)

ME:   Aaaarrrrrgh!  (Pulling out my hair because I just had a 5 minute conversation about blueberries.)


So, needless to say, I ate almost the whole cake.  In 2 days.  This is why I weigh...well, never mind what I weigh.

I did take a piece to the Don, who accepted it and did not have any gripes about blueberries.

Which is what I like to hear.

No gripes.

Especially no gripes about blueberries.

Who doesn't like blueberries?

Especially in cake?

Cake, like ketchup, makes everything taste better.


1 comment: