Monday, June 25, 2012

how NOT to can green beans

I know, I know.  I keep saying I'm not going to post anything else about animals and cooking.  It's kind of like when someone tells you not to laugh & you just can't help yourself - you must laugh.  I keep telling myself to stop with the animals and the food, but it just keeps happening.

Think of this as less of a cooking tutorial and more of a public service announcement.  It could save your life.  Canning with a pressure cooker can be dangerous.

My sister in law gave me some green beans from her garden.  They were already snapped and ready to go, bless her heart.



Canning green beans is not that hard, but for some reason, I get nervous about it.  The pressure cooker makes me jumpy.

Superfrydad asked if he could help & since he is great at making jelly, I took him up on his offer.

Basically, you put the beans in the jars, add a tsp. of salt, fill up with hot water & put the lids on.



I filled the jars, added the salt & the water & SFD wiped the tops and put the lids on.

However, I forgot to nag  tell him to not tighten the lids like He-Man.  I had already had to stop him because he was putting the lids on before I filled them up with water.....that should have been my clue to send him out of the kitchen.

But I was just glad that he was there helping trying to help, so I kept my bossiness to a minimum and tried to just let him do it without telling him what to do.  How hard is it to wipe off the rim and put the lid on, right?

SFD must have wanted us to have to crack open the glass jar to get to the beans because he tightened the lids so much that after they came out, some of the lids buckled.


If the lid buckles, that's not good.  6 out of 14 quarts had buckled lids.

That would normally make me go into a bit of a tilt-o-angry-whirl.  However, I've been working on trying not to get mad over things that don't matter, so I decided to chalk it up to experience and today I am canning green beans all by myself.  Without anger.  Nobody wants beans canned with anger.  Beans canned with love are much better.  They probably don't give you gas, either......you know you were doing it!  Anytime you hear the word beans, you sing "beans, beans, the musical fruit, the more you eat 'em, the more you toot" OR "beans, beans, they're good for your heart, the more you eat 'em, the more you fart, the more you fart, the better you feel, so let's have beans for every meal!"


No comments:

Post a Comment