Sunday, January 6, 2013

old enough to know better

Yesterday was my birthday.

I'm 37.

Yippee.

Wanna know what my best gift was?

A comment from a friend.

We were talking about a mutual acquaintance, and I said something like, "She's the kind of person I wish I was."

And guess what my friend said?

"Eh, you're fine the way you are."

37 isn't really that exciting, but wanna know what I did anyway?

Friday night,  we went bowling with some friends & our kiddos.  This wasn't just any old bowling.  It was "cosmic bowling".  Which means they turn on black lights and a disco ball and play loud music.  Made a rule that when you got a strike, you had to break out a dance move to celebrate.  I'm pretty sure I was the only one who participated and I think I embarrassed myself and everyone else, but so what?  That's the good part about being 37.  You just don't care anymore about trying to be cool.

Got up early on Saturday, and went to a birthday party for a 7 year old, complete with roller skating and a Justin Bieber cake.  Went to lunch with my mom and then came home and took a 3 hour nap because we didn't get home from bowling until after 1 AM.  When I got up, I intended on making Superfrydad take me out to a nice dinner, but I didn't feel like putting on real clothes.  So we went to the drive-thru at Dairy Queen and I wore mismatched pj's and Superfrydad's slippers.  It was awesome.

I guess if my 37 year old self could go back in time and tell my 7 year old self something, it would be this:  "Take care of your body better, don't care so much about pleasing other people, and pick a different bridesmaid dress."

Over Christmas break, Superfrykid found the bridesmaid dress my sister wore in our wedding and tried it on.  It is truly the ghastliest, tackiest, most horrifying thing ever.  Shiny satin and a ginormous bow with strands of fake pearls cascading over the open back.  I can't believe these people are still my friends.


2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Alissa. I think you are awesomely fabulous just the way you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the day you were born-it was one of the happiest days of my life/ You were such a beautiful child. I wish you peace and God's Grace on your birthday.

    ReplyDelete