Sunday, November 27, 2011

fav Christmas songs and carols

My sister, Pee (yes, that's her real nickname), was here last weekend.  In the course of our conversations, she mentioned that "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen" was her favorite Christmas song.

I thought she was kidding.

I questioned her and she assured me that indeed, it is her favorite Christmas song.

Can I just say that it's probably my 91st favorite Christmas song? 

My sister just went down a notch in my eyes.  (I'm sure she is quite concerned.)

How can "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen" be your favorite Christmas song? 

So it got me to thinking, what is my favorite Christmas song?

There are too many to actually pick a favorite, so I guess I will make a Top 5 List.  Actually, I'll make a couple of lists, because I'm awesome weird like that. 

And, I'll make them Top 7 Lists.

Because I can't pick just 5, but I'm too lazy to shoot for 10.

Here it goes:

Ketchup with the Frys Top 7 Hymns or Carols:
1.  O Come, All Ye Faithful
2.  Angels We Have Heard On High
3.  It Came Upon a Midnight Clear
4.  Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus
5.  What Child Is This
6.   Joy to the World
7.  The Friendly Beasts

Ketchup with the Frys Top 7 Random Christmas Songs:
1.  Run, Run Rudolph (Chuck Berry)
2.  Christmas Time is Here (Peanuts)
3.  Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (Judy Garland in Meet Me in St. Louis)
4.  Santa Looked a Lot Like Daddy (Garth Brooks)
5.  Hanukkah Song (Adam Sandler)
6.  Christmas Song (Alvin & the Chipmunks)
7.  All I Want for Christmas Is You (Mariah Carey)

Ketchup with the Frys Top 7 Worst Christmas Songs:
1.  Christmas Shoes - I hear one note of this on the radio, and even if I have to swerve over into oncoming traffic, I reach over and turn it before the second note.  I abhor this song. 
2.  Do They Know It's Christmas? I know this is like a Feed the World, Save the Children kind of a song and it's probably wrong to not like this song, but I don't care, it gets on my nerves.
3.  Last Christmas (Wham)  Wham and Christmas do not go together.  Just sayin'.
4.  O Tannenbaum  Who says Tannenbaum?  If you're going to sing the whole song in German, go for it.  If not, O Christmas Tree will suffice.
5.  Mary, Did You Know? (Kenny Rogers)  I feel bad for not liking this song too, but Kenny Rogers is creepy.  And whenever someone sings this as a solo in church, it's never as good as it should be.  Which is unfortunate, because it has potential to be a nice song.  But I could tolerate it if not for Kenny Rogers.
6.  I Saw 3 Ships  The lyrics of this song say "...and what was in those ships all 3?...The virgin Mary and Christ were there..." Um, I'm pretty sure Mary and Baby Jesus were not on a ship.  Who wrote this song and why weren't they burned at the stake told the truth?
7.  My Grown Up Christmas List  Kind of like #2, I feel bad that I dislike this song because I guess it's nice and all.  However, it's annoying and I don't like it.  Hence it's appearance on this list.

Also, as a side note?  I bought the Phineas and Ferb Christmas CD.  It's not bad.  In fact, it's growing on me.  It's too early for me to pick a favorite tune, but maybe one will make the list next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment