Saturday, November 17, 2012

Book Review: A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans

This is my official review of A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans.


I must confess, I came into reading this book with the idea that I would probably like it.  I am a fan of Rachel's blog and so I tried to read it the book at face value and reserve my judgement for after I finished reading.  I received an advanced reader's copy for being part of the launch team for Thomas Nelson Publishers. But just because something is free doesn't mean it's awesome.

Unless it's chips and salsa at a Mexican restaurant.  Because free chips and salsa are awesome at even the worst of Mexican restaurants.

To my delight, I think this book IS pretty awesome.  It finds the balance between being smart, funny, real, and, dare I say it......biblical?

I laughed out loud, which in my book is one of the measures of a good book.  Especially a non-fiction book. 

But it's not the laugh out loud parts that make it worth reading. Rachel Held Evans tackles topics that are important to all women.  It's meaty - and not in a fast food rib sandwich kind of way.  I learned things about the Bible I did not know.  Or maybe I should say I "unlearned" things about the Bible that I thought I knew.

Rachel's discussion of the Proverbs 31 woman particularly stuck with me after finishing the book.  I think many of us live with an underlying sense of guilt about not living up to standards we think the Bible sets for us as women.  Understanding that Proverbs 31 is a poem and not a mandate has been particularly satisfying to my soul.

This is an important book for all of us to read and ponder.  You may not agree with all of Rachel's views, but I think we can all agree that it's a great conversation starter.



No comments:

Post a Comment